I recently met with Wendy McWilliams, who has worked in the field of public relations for more than twenty years. Her company, WMC Public Relations, has won major PR contracts with various local government councils, and also advises a large portfolio of SME's on how they can gain promotional traction for their business in their local press and media. I asked her for some PR tips and advice that would be suitable for small business and this is what she suggested ........
- Milestones: First or 50th anniversary, 1000th customer, 1 millionth widget, 20th franchise sold, etc.
- Moved to new premises, opened branch offices, 6-star green rating, etc.
- Awards won
- Senior appointments
- New equipment and new technology
- Export achievements
- New products
- White papers & technical how-to sheets
- Market analysis that may be controversial or alternative to general consensus.
- Holding a special event
- Case studies where one of your customers has achieved significant results
- A major sponsorship - for example of your local football or cricket club
You might also be interested in having a look at Marketing Fundamentals for Small Business
Brian Carroll is the founder of Performance Development, a corporate training company based in Melbourne that specialises in management skills training, leadership development and executive coaching.